April 01, 2013

Really? A GI Bug, too?

  The day that Sadie's ear started bleeding she also was having issues with her stomach and intestines.  She was not tolerating her food AT ALL.  We messed around with the rate of her feeding pump, the amount of food that she was getting, how long between the feedings, "burping" her more frequently.  We tried all of the normal tricks that we try when she is having a bad food day.  NOTHING was working.  Since we had just changed her food the previous day I just chalked it up to just having to get used to the new formula.
  A day or two goes by in the hospital and she still is having a horrible time with her food. This seems a little bit more intense then just switching her food.  Sadie has never had this hard of a time.  The Dr's decide to put her on "gut rest".  Something just does not seem right.  Later, the Dr's decided that  Sadie has contracted some sort of a GI bug.  No food was going in, but lots of stuff was coming out from both ends of her.  My poor girl.  Now she has a horrible ear infection and this terrible GI bug.  She was in rough shape.
  However, she wasn't the only one.  Both of my other girls were at home with vomiting and diarrhea.  God bless my husband. Daddy doesn't handle sickness very well.  He is great for lots of hugs and kisses and comforting and giving medicine, but the clean up part... no.  His clean up job is to roll up the sheets and anything else that got messy and throw them in the laundry room until I clean them.  Lucky for the girls he didn't roll them up too (LOL)!  Also lucky for me my mother in law was coming over to take care of the girls that morning and she cleaned up all the sheets and dirty laundry.  However, I don't think she felt that lucky.
  So now we have Sadie in the hospital with the GI bug and ear infection, Chloe and Aubrie at home with this GI bug. Does it end there?  No, can we be so lucky?  No it's my turn now.  I was so sick, but I refused to leave Sadie alone at the hospital so I tried to hide it from the nurses and Dr's.  I did a pretty good job I thought until there was a nurse that was taking forever to leave Sadie's room and finally I said "excuse me, I have to go puke now."   So after that the Dr's and nurses were also taking care of me.  I felt horrible for making them deal with me, but what was I going to do?  At least my issues only last about 36 hrs or so.  Chloe and Aubrie's issues only last about 24 hrs or so.  Poor Sadie she always gets the worst of everything.  Her vomiting lasted 4 days and she still has terrible diarrhea (9 days later) which has caused a horrible rash on her rear end.  I don't know how my husband escaped this bug, but he did it.  Thank goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment