April 01, 2013

The bloody ear


  This little ear was the reason we came to the ER.  Yes, I am a mom.  Yes, I am a nurse.  Did I know what was going on with my childs ear.  No. 
  Chloe is 5 and Aubrie is 3.  Neither one of them have ever had an ear infection.  I always thought I knew what to look for, but apparently I don't.  Or then again, maybe it's because Sadie is not your typical baby with typical symptoms.  Who knows!
  A CT showed that Sadie had mastoiditis, which is a middle ear infection that extends to the air cells of the skull behind the ear.  In Sadie's case what happened is that her ear tube got clogged, so her ear was unable to drain.  Which caused the infection and pressure to travel up into her mastoid bone.
  How did the Dr's fix this?  They took her to the OR, sucked out all the thick fluid, pus and blood that was trapped in her ear and replaced her tube with a slightly bigger tube. 
  She is now on oral antibiotics and antibiotic ear drops.  She is feeling way better and no longer ripping at that ear or her hair around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment