August 19, 2015

Theraputic Kitties

   I grew up with animals. I think animals are important for kids to have. They teach compassion, responsibility, love. They are great companions.  I know typically most people gets dogs as a therapy pet, however, we already have a basset hound.  Since I love cats and all of my cats that I have had as adult have passed away from old age, I thought it was time for another cat.  I started searching. I wanted an old cat that wanted to just cuddle and lay around and was tolerant of movement. I searched for probably a year or so (only on-line).  Didn't really have much luck. The girls and I started to go to different pet stores, the pound, cat rescues, etc...  One day we went to the pound and Chloe fell in love with this cat. She wasn't old like I wanted. She wasn't calm like I wanted. But she was very lovey, and purred like a little engine.  She couldn't get enough of us. The girls quickly fell in love with her.  After I himmed and hawed around and debated for awhile, I finally agreed.  We brought Jacquelyn home (Jackie for short).  After she warmed up to the family and environment, she quickly took to Sadie. Jackie doesn't lay down with Sadie as often as I would like her too, but she does hang out with her occasionally.  I'm hoping that as the cat gets older and being that she will already be used to Sadie she will lay with her more often.  We shall see.  (By the way, we got this cat back in January. She was 6 mo old).
First they just laid next to each other.


Then Jackie started to reach out for Sadie,





Finally Sadie started moving closer to her. Now obviously with Sadie's avoidance with touching things with her hands, she didn't reach out. But she did reach out with her foot.  She did this several times. Jackie just laid there and was patient as Sadie kept "kicking" her.

Then 3 months later (in March) I was looking for volunteer opportunities for the girls to do this summer.  Since they love animals I thought I would look into animal shelters and such. I found that there was a cat rescue house about 2 miles from my house. Perfect!  So one day we all went there to find out more details.  We looked around at all the cats and took a tour of the building.  As we walked around I asked about the volunteering, they told me that they only took volunteers 18 yrs and older.  I was bummed, so were the girls.  As I went to leave, I looked for the girls and they weren't around.  I found them cuddled up with a cat. A very sweet, fluffy, beautiful, 6 mo old male cat. I knew in my heart how this was going to end, but I tried to stay strong.  I told them no over and over.  But the cat just kept laying there in their arms like a baby, purring, and looking at me like "I'm so sweet, adopt me, your girls love me and I love them". He was so docile. I gave in. I couldn't help it. He won my heart right away too.  So we adopted him on the condition that he got a long with Jackie and Slinkey (our dog).  Luckily for the cat, he fit in perfect with our family and the other pets.  We kept him.  When I took him to the vet for a check up. They told me that he was a Maine coon. Come to find out that they are known to be therapy cats because of there gentle, sweet personalities and nicked named "the gentle giant" because of their large size.  Crazy how the Lord works in mysterious ways.  This cat is amazing with the girls.  He tolerates everything and never complains. When they are done he just gets up, walks away, and sleeps.  This is Rocky.









All stretched out.  He just turned 1 yrs old.  He's supposed to keep growing until he about 3-4 yrs old. He's going to be a big cat!




No comments:

Post a Comment