January 30, 2013

Sadie's "cool"

   Yesterday Sadie had a check up with her eye Dr.  Have I ever told you how much I love her eye Dr?  He is the most kindest, gentlest, smartest man I have ever met.  He never makes you feel stupid.  He always validates your feelings.  He loves questions and teaching you new things.  He is not just knowledgeable in eye issues, but in a bazillion areas.  He always listens to your concerns and never blows them off.  I wish all of her Dr's were like this man.  You can truly tell he loves his career and cares about all these kids that he sees.  However, because he cares so much and never turns any pt away, it is ALWAYS a long visit.  He is always at least an hour or two behind.  Which is kind of annoying, but at the same time if it was my child that had an emergency I would want him to work her into his schedule.  I have learned to just plan on being there for a couple of hours.
   Sadie usually cooperates very well for all of her Dr appts, probably because she is so comfortable at all these places after being to them a million times (kinda sad, huh?).  Well yesterday was a different story.  She wanted nothing to do with them and she let them know that.  Since she has always cooperated with them, I didn't know what they would do with an uncooperative child.  I soon found out.  I had to help hold her down and they used what looked like a torture devise on her eyes to hold the lids open.  My poor girl.  In the end it was all worth it though.  She got a perfect check up.  No new eye issues and some of her old issues are improving.  I was so happy when I left that appt.  An appt that actually went well with no surprises.  I love those kind.
   The Dr actually called Sadie "cool".  I burst out laughing.  I so did not expect that coming out of his mouth.  I asked why?  "Sadie has cool medical issues that I've never seen and may never see again.  She is so rare and unique and is teaching me about a new medical condition that will help me help other kids in the future.  That is an awesome gift to be able to give someone."  I looked at him and said "I totally agree.  She is one of a kind, teaching myself and others many lessons."

No comments:

Post a Comment