September 24, 2014

Another new neurologist

  Yes, I got Sadie a new neurologist.  This time though, it's not because I hated the Dr.  In fact, I really liked her, however, she was almost 2 hrs away.  The reason I sought her out in the first place was because I was not a big fan of Sadie's current neurologist or the office that he worked in. And there where no other options in this town and at that time, we thought Sadie had a mitochondrial disease and the Dr I found had experience with mito disorders.  Well... fast forward 8 months.
  After genetic testing it was found that Sadie does not have a mito dx.  We no longer need the expertise of this Dr.  Also, we recently had a pediatric neurologist open his own clinic right here in town.  So I thought I would give him a shot. I'm so glad I did, it's such a small world.  Wait til you hear this.
  I did my research on this Dr prior to switching to him.  It ends up that he did his specializing in peds neurology in Seattle with the Dr that is running the research study that Sadie is a part of.  He is actually familiar with pontine tegmental cap dysplasia.  I didn't have to explain it to him. He didn't have to google it like all the other Dr's.  Do you know what a relief that is? Someone who actually knows about my childs brain.  Crazy!!
  So that is why I switched Dr's again.  He's closer to us and he knows about Sadie's brain abnormality without google, Wikipedia, or WebMD.  Luckily, we don't really need to see the neurologist very often cause Sadie really doesn't have on going problem with her brain.  But at least he will be familiar with her just in case something does happen with her brain like seizures or something.  And he won't think that she is currently having a stroke like our first idiotic neurologist did at her 1 year appt.  (I don't think I ever told you guys that story.  Obviously, Sadie was born with right facial palsy. He saw her a couple of times that first year, after that he kept having us see his NP.  When we saw him for her 1 yr check up, which was actually closer to 18 mo, he freaked thinking that she in the middle of having a stroke.  It was very obvious that he never really paid attention to my daughter or he would have known that she was born like that, DUH!  I hated him.)
  We had our first appt with the new Dr a few weeks ago. I liked him.  He really didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but that's ok.  We plan on following up with him in 6-8 mo just so he can become a little bit more familiar with her and then we probably will just follow yearly just to stay on his radar.  I think I'll be happy with him.  Fingers crossed, no more switching.

No comments:

Post a Comment