November 23, 2015

About my 6 year old

  Aubrie is a beautiful child inside and out. She has a tender heart, smart, loving, funny, helpful, intelligent, athletic.  But she is also EXTREMELY sensitive.  You look at her the wrong way, she cries.  She sees an animal hurt, she cries. You brush her hair, she cries.  You ask her to do a chore (that I know she can do), she cries. If she thinks she hurt your feelings, she cries.  Every time I turn around she's crying.  At least she usually cries.  Sometimes those same things will make her so angry that she punches, kicks,hits, spits, starts blurting words that she doesn't even know she is saying "I hate you, you ruin my life, I wish I wasn't your daughter, I wish you weren't my mom/dad, I hate the world, my room, this house".  Then she stops and realizes what she said, then she starts crying all over again.  She becomes so out of control.
  Sometimes my husband and I are so exhausted from trying to watch our words, our actions, our reactions.  Sometimes we are at a total loss as to what to do for her.  Finally, I sought help.  I asked her pediatrician to recommend either counseling or some sort of therapy for her, and/or for us, as parents.  I want to be able to help her find her words to explain how she feels and to give her tools on how to control her actions.  Some people think I'm blowing things out of proportion, saying that she is a typical 6 yr old, but I see her differently.  I have seen red flags since she was about 6 mo when she was a very picky eater and when she was a toddler and was more then a clumsy child and then 2 yrs old and couldn't talk, or when she became obsessed with the color blue and wouldn't take anything but blue things, and my list can go on and on.  Those were just the tip of the ice berg.  Since then "the small things" are just adding up, I don't see anything that is detrimental to her health, but I want to get things a little bit more controlled before we hit the hormonal teenage years.  All these small things are just adding up.
  I personally think she also has sensory processing disorder just like Sadie.  Not to the same degree and they have totally different sensitivities, but the more I've learned about SPD (which is why I had so much education about SPD the entire month of Oct.) the more I see it in Aubrie.  So after the holidays we are going to go to a therapist and have her evaluated.  We shall see what comes from the eval.  I just want to help her learn and understand how to control herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment