November 05, 2012

Sadie is healthy!

  Sadie had her 1 year check up last Friday.  It's crazy to think it's really been a whole year, but anyways... she is finally on the charts.  Hallelujah!!!  The Dr's can get off my back.  The Dr's have been so obsessed with getting her on the growth chart since the day she was born.  They were driving me crazy!!  "We have to add more calories to her diet."  That is what I heard for months.  I thought to myself: who cares if she's not on the chart, as long as her curve is going up, that is all I cared about.  Well the Dr's didn't see it that way.  "We need to make sure she is getting enough calories to get her body to grow and gain weight and have enough energy and fat to help her brain develop to the best of it's abilities."  I understood that, but she was starting way behind your typical developing baby, so stop trying to compare her to them and putting her on "their" chart.  So frustrating to listen to the Dr's compare her, but now they can't, well not completely.  I guess technically they still can when it comes to her height and her head circumference.  BUT her weight is in the 10% for children her age.  I can celebrate  that.
   The Dr then proceeded to check her all out, check her development. The Dr then stops, turns and looks at me.  She says "This little girl is amazing.  She is nothing like we would expect her to be like with the abnormalities that she has with her brain.  She is behind developmentally, but she is working on things at her own speed.  She is a determined baby and she wants to move and I'm pretty sure she will get her way if she is anything like her sisters.  Her sisters are strong, independent, sweet girls with high self esteems.  Sadie is no different then them, she is just on her own time table."  I was shocked.  Not that I didn't know this, but I'm so used to getting bad news when I go to the Dr's that is just threw me off guard.  As I was trying to choke down tears, the Dr then continues "and she is the most healthiest special needs child that I have.  She is 1 and she has not been seriously sick, she's never been to the hospital/ER, she doesn't have seizures, she doesn't have respiratory issues, yes she can't eat orally, but she handles her tube feeds very well, she smiles and laughs, and like I said she has determination. I know you don't keep her in a bubble so she must have a very good immune system.  I'm not sure what you are doing with her, but keep it up."  All I could say was "Thank You".  I was trying not to break down in tears cause that is what I really wanted to do.  All the work I've done with therapies and Dr's are proving to be helpful.  Finally somebody recognizes it (other then family).  Then at the end of the appt Sadie got 5 shots!  My poor baby, but guess what?  She didn't even cry.  She whimpered a little bit, but never cried.  Her Dr poked her head back into the room and said "see, I told you they were strong".  (Chloe also had her 5 yr check up at the same time and got 3 shots and she never cried or fought it either)
  When I got to the car, once again I started to cry.  But this time they were tears of happiness.  It only took a year but we finally got a good report from a Dr.

No comments:

Post a Comment